Saturday, July 09, 2005

Dyeing roving... the lazy way

Q: What do you get when you mix a few drops of food coloring (Wiltons and the regular kind) a dab of vinegar and a few ounces of roving?
A:
merino top roving
south african roving

*
. (DO NOT put vinegar in your black Wilton food color gel, it causes it to separate and you will get all the colors that make black) .... Unless that's what you want. And then go for it.)
**You must set in sunny spot and left outside until done. I recommend soaking roving in water for 20 minutes, then pouring dye over it however you desire, then microwaving until container is warm so Saran wrap will seal tightly. I put mine in glass pie plates. I noticed when I added water to cover the roving before setting outside, that the dye washed out of places when water hit it. So to test whether it was done, I took water out with me in a glass and poured it in a spot. If the dye stays, its done. If not, leave it where it is.
***results may vary

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home